The Indigenous Language Sovereignty: Article 13 Experience
A group of Indigenous language keepers and elders gathered virtually in August 2020 to name the Winnipeg Art Gallery and Qaumajuq, as well as the spaces within.
Indigenous languages Inuktitut, Inuttitut, Inuvialuktun, Anishnaabemowin, Nêhiyawêwin, Anishininimowin, Dakota, Dene, and Michif now have a permanent space in WAG-Qaumajuq.
We have included Inuit and Inuvialuit names from each dialect of Inuktitut, and names from all languages of Indigenous peoples of Manitoba. Language keepers provided spellings based on their regional dialects, which may differ from other regional spellings and pronunciations within each language group.
For more information about the project, please click here
The Architectural Elements Experience
Join Anishinaabe architect David Thomas and WAG-Qaumajuq Director & CEO, Dr. Stephen Borys as they walk you through their favourite architectural features of Winnipeg Art Gallery-Qaumajuq.
Thanks to the following people for their involvement
Byron Beardy • Holly Carpenter • Elder Dr. Mary Courchene • Elder Verna Demontigny • Johnny Kasudluak • Diane Powderhorn • Eric Robinson • Marge Roscelli • Dr. Niiganwewidam Sinclair • Theresie Tungilik • Krista Ulujuk Zawadski • Katie Winters
Dr. Heather Igloliorte • Julia Lafreniere • Taqralik Partridge • Jocelyn Piirainen
How to Navigate the Virtual Tours
- To move through the Gallery/advance in space: click on a white circle ahead/around where you are currently situated
- To enter through a door: click on the blue door that says “Enter (space)”
- To enter through a closed door: click on the white arrow on the door
- To exit through a door: click on the blue door labelled “Exit (space)”
- To see the space around you (without moving): hold the cursor down and move your mouse in the direction you would like to see. On a touch screen, hold your finger down on the screen and move it to where you would like to see
- To watch an interview with a Knowledge Keeper: click on the white circle with a line drawing of the Knowledge Keeper and the title of the space you are in (“Ilipvik”)
- To watch an architectural tour: click on a white circle with a line drawing of the WAG-Qaumajuq building and the title “Architecture Location”