Art in Bloom returns to the Winnipeg Art Gallery April 1-3, 2022
Festival of Spring enters Qaumajuq for first time
Art in Bloom is back at the Winnipeg Art Gallery and for the first time, Qaumajuq. This festival of spring, art, and creativity is a lush feast for the senses and a welcoming community event presented by the Associates of the WAG.
Art in Bloom pairs creative amateur florists with inspiring art to create rich displays of floral designs, made possible with the support of Master Partner Petals West. Professional and non-professional florists will interpret 15th to 21st-century artworks highlighting the Gallery’s outstanding art collection, bringing in the scents and colours of spring.
Throughout the weekend the public can learn to make their own floral arrangements or elevate their skills through a series of workshops with creative professionals. Enroll the family in a kid’s class, learn the art of ikebana, or practice making the perfect floral centerpiece. These fun and informal workshops are available for preregistration at wag.ca/bloom.
Floral Philanthropy will re-purpose flowers used in interpretations for delivery to individuals in our community who do not usually have access to fresh flowers, spreading wellness across the city through a partnership with CancerCare Manitoba Foundation.
Art in Bloom takes place April 1 to 3. Entry is included in your Gallery admission price: adults $18, seniors/students $15, FREE for kids under 18 and WAG members. A special preview event will take place March 31 from 7-9:30 PM. Enjoy cocktails, light bites, and jazz piano by Ron Paley in the company of the 2022 Art in Bloom Floral Interpreters. Learn more at wag.ca/preview.
- Art in Bloom is brought to you by the Associates of the WAG, who work tirelessly to advance WAG-Qaumajuq’s mission through fundraising, volunteerism, and community outreach.
- Master Partner Petals West will be supplying the flowers used in interpretations.
- 95 professional and amateur florists will interpret artworks in the WAG-Qaumajuq collection, filling the galleries with fresh flowers.
- Flowers from the event will be re-purposed for delivery to healthcare centres, hospitals, and personal care homes through Floral Philanthropy and their partnership with CancerCare Manitoba Foundation.
- Floral arrangement workshops with local florists and makers will be held throughout the event with all supplies available at the workshops for participants to make and bring home their floral creations. Learn more at wag.ca/bloom.
- Art in Bloom takes place April 1 to 3. Entry is included in your Gallery admission price: adults $18, seniors/students $15, FREE for kids under 18 and WAG members.
- A special preview party will take place March 31 from 7-9:30PM with cocktails, light bites, and jazz piano by Ron Paley in the company of the 2022 Art in Bloom Floral Interpreters. Learn more at wag.ca/preview.
- Media will have the opportunity to preview the event March 31 at 11:00 AM to capture images and footage. A media advisory will follow.
“As we come out of the dark days of winter, and out from under the gloomy weight of Covid restrictions, we return to the place that is bright and lit, awash in the colour and fragrance of thousands of beautiful flowers. This event reminds us all that art and nature can always be relied upon to lift our spirits and bring us the sense of hope inherent with the changing of seasons.”
— Andrea Cibinel, Art in Bloom Co-Chair
“The Associates of the WAG invite you to join us as we welcome Spring into the Gallery with inventive floral interpretations of incredible artwork!”
— Esme Scarlett, Art in Bloom Co-Chair
“Art in Bloom 2022 marks the first time this amazing festival of flowers will take place in both WAG and Qaumajuq – and I’m so looking forward to seeing what creativity the new building inspires. There is really nothing like Art in Bloom in Winnipeg where visitors can enjoy thousands of floral blooms gracing the Gallery spaces, highlighting the artworks from the collection. Thank you to Andrea Cibinel, Esme Scarlett, and the committee members of the Associates for their tireless work in bringing this special event to life for all Winnipeggers to enjoy. What better way to celebrate Spring!”
— Dr. Stephen Borys, WAG-Qaumajuq Director & CEO
WAG-Qaumajuq thanks Master Partner Petals West for their support of Art in Bloom, Floral Philanthropy for their generosity in re-purposing flowers to spread wellness across the city, as well as Variety Partners Johnston Group and McFadden Benefits & Pension, Workshop Partner Floral Fixx, Floral Frame Sponsor Innovair Group, Complimentary Donor Dr. Kenneth Murray Medical Corporation, and the many generous donors and volunteers who made this year’s event possible.
For more information or to arrange interviews, please contact:
Public Relations Officer
Winnipeg Art Gallery
Amy Rebecca Harrison
Manager of Engagement
Winnipeg Art Gallery
The Winnipeg Art Gallery (WAG)-Qaumajuq is a cultural advocate using art to connect, inspire, and inform. Playing a dynamic role in the community, we are a place for learning, dialogue, and enjoyment through art. Opened in March 2021, Qaumajuq connects to the WAG on all levels, celebrating the largest public collection of contemporary Inuit art in the world. The new WAG-Qaumajuq cultural campus is now one of the largest art museums in Canada. To learn more visit wag.ca.