Authored by: WAG Staff on October 31, 2018
One of the main ingredients of the annual CRAFTED: Show + Sale—coming up this week on November 2 and 3—is a philanthropic collaboration that ensures the handmade becomes the hand-given. From handmade quilts going to patients in care to knitted toques for youth, CRAFTED supports a different cause each year. In 2018 this has resulted in Down to Earth: Homemade Soups in Handmade Vessels, an amazing cookbook created by Ayoko Design and the WAG that pairs 20 ceramic artists with 20 chefs to benefit Winnipeg Harvest. You’ll find recipes to keep you warm all winter long by chefs from many of your favourite local restaurants...and they've never looked better than in the stunning bowls seen in these pages. Best of all, you can try out some of the soups at this year's CRAFTED event, a one-of-a-kind show and sale featuring 50 artists from Manitoba, Nunavut, and beyond. Below is a sample recipe. This one is from Chef Roel Calderon and Rob Austria of Stella’s Catering, which is presented in Down to Earth in a bowl by Valerie Metcalfe Pottery.
Down to Earth: Homemade Soups in Handmade Vessels is available for $10 at the Gallery Shop (300 Memorial Blvd) and WAG@The Forks (Johnston Terminal), during this year’s CRAFTED event, plus Ayoko Design (302-960 Portage Ave), C2 Centre for Craft (1-329 Cumberland Avenue), six of the city and rural Red River Co-op Food Stores, as well as the Arctic Co-operatives Limited head office (1645 Inkster Blvd). See full list of retailers at crafted.wag.ca, including link to order online.
Kale & Potato Soup
Serves: 12 | Prep Time: 20 Minutes | Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups white onion, diced
- 12 cups vegetable stock
- 2½ cups potato, skin on, diced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- ¾ cup chili oil
- Heat oil in a pot on medium-high heat and cook onion until translucent.
- Add stock, then bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are soft.
- Remove half the potatoes from the pot, reduce heat to simmer.
- Add whipping cream, purée until smooth, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale and remaining potatoes, turn off heat.
- Ladle soup into bowls, serve with a tablespoon of chili oil.
Comments are now closed