Canadian, 18th century
Tea service, c. 1790
(a) teapot: 14 x 11.3 x 28.5 cm; (b) cream jug: 15.5 x 7.8 x 12.5 cm; (cd) sugar box; lid: 13.5 x 13 x 9.5 cm; (e) tea caddy: 14 x 13.2 x 9.6 cm; (f) key: 29 x 1.4 cm; (g) caddy spoon: 79 x 5 cm
Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery; Gift of an anonymous donor
The Neoclassical style of this tea service by Arnoldi is typical of Quebec domestic silver of the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The engraving, although of the same design, differs slightly on each piece, suggesting that the service was purchased one piece at a time. Since a silver tea service was a costly luxury, it would not have been unusual in late eighteenth century Canada to buy pieces individually. This tea service is thought to have belonged to the Burling family who were English Quakers. The family immigrated to New York state in the late seventeenth century to escape political unrest and persecution. A descendant, Lydia Burling, moved with her husband, the Reverend John Doty, to Montreal in 1777 where she remained until the 1790s. It is likely the service belonged to her.